Saturday 24 August 2013

Abstract Art

( previously posted on Blogster in April)

First thing to say today is that I’m a little fragile, which is a very unusual state of affairs for me to find myself in. It was my official retirement night out yesterday and well; what can I say?, we had a ball. 
This morning is not so much fun. I may not make it around the tour until later, maybe even tomorrow, in fact I didn’t make it around Vickies Song Saturday tour yesterday because the big night out started earlier (and finished later) than I anticipated. 

But; I’ve had this idea in my head ever since that conversation with Nemo that went something like; ‘’………….Abstract art isn’t really my thing’’,
‘’no it’s not really my thing either’’.
And before collapsing on the sofa for my much needed PJ and DVD day, I wanted to post this.

 
I know nothing about abstract art. I have discovered it’s not as easy as it looks which prompted me to explore a little further. I’ve been wandering around the net this morning looking at images of famous abstract paintings and trying to find some that appealed to me. If I were to hang abstract paintngs on my wall, I guess this selection is more or less what I would choose. 

The more I looked and the more I read, the more attractive some of these paintings became. I’ve not added any text of my own, that’s because I don’t know enough to write anything meaningful but; I did find some of these links very informative and would recommend you wander over to them and do a bit of reading.

I liked this introduction;

 

from
http://wwar.com/masters/movements/abstract_art.html


 Art History: Abstract Art: (1910 - )
Abandoning the late 19th century European idea that art should imitate nature Abstract art does not strive to create accurate representations of any forms or objects. Artists employing the style take an object and either simplify or exaggerate it by altering its color shape and form. Abstract art developed before the twentieth century abstract patterns have roots in ancient history showing up in early decorations for textiles and pottery.

Abstraction reached its pinnacle as an accepted form of fine art in the twentieth century. Wassily Kandinsky was the original abstract artist producing the first completely abstract work of art in 1910. Two years later he wrote a theory on abstract art called On the Spiritual in Art. In this publication he emphasized the general theory among Abstract artists that art should portray the spiritual realm and not just the visual world. Abstract Art encompasses many different styles including Cubism, Neoplasticism, Expressionism, Futurism, Fauvism and Abstract Expressionism.

More informative links;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_art 


Kandinsky
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/


This is a Blog about abstract art and there is a video that I couldn’t see because ‘‘it’s not available in your country’’, hopefully you will be able to see it and tell me all about it. 


http://www.rodjonesartistblog.com/why-do-abstract-artists-paint-abstractly.html

No comments:

Post a Comment